Coalopolis,Wigan’s Mining Heritage

Coalopolis,Wigan’s Mining Heritage Talk by Alan Davies

Since the earliest days of coal mining in Britain, Wigan has been the pre-eminent town associated with the industry. The Romans based in the town centre accessed coal possibly locally and specifically at Arley. The world-famous Cannel mines at Haigh had been worked since the 14th century. Their equally famous drainage tunnel dated back to the 17th century. Artisans carving Haigh Cannel coal drew nationwide attention from the 17th century onwards.
The foremost mining engineers, geologists and mineral surveyors along with legal professions associated with the industry and coal owners when private could be found in King Street.
The first purely coal mining college in Britain was set up in Library Street in the 1850’s, to be staffed by the most eminent mining minds in Britain. It was during this period the term Coalopolis came into use.
Mining ended in the borough in the 1990’s but it’s legacy will always remain, along with the memory of the hundreds of men women and children who died working coal. A statue group recalling this (scheduled late March 2020) will be a permanent feature of the town centre.
Booking Essential
Places are limited so please book by phoning 01942 828128 or emailing wiganmuseum@wigan.gov.uk

Date and time

Thursday 5th November, 2020

1:00pm to 2:00pm

Location

Museum of Wigan Life

Library Street

Wigan

WN1 1NU

Pricing info

£3.00 including tea/coffee

How to get there

Tags

History Talks Wheelchair access

Thu 5th Nov, 1:00pm - 2:00pm

Coalopolis,Wigan’s Mining Heritage

Museum of Wigan Life